Tips for Eating Healthy in Restaurants
When you eat at restaurants it can be hard to know what ingredients and the amount of calories that have gone into the meal making it hard to decide what to order if you are trying to be healthy.
But all is not list, there are ways you can enjoy eating out without totally ruining all of your hard work and breaking your eating goals.
Choose Low Carb
Because you cannot be sure what meals are healthy at restaurants, you should start by picking a low carb meal.
If you go for a low carb meal you are likely to be eating large amounts of protein which can burn up to 25% of the calories in the meal during digestion.
They are also more than likely to contain less calories than the high carb meals that are on the menu.
Go Easy on the Liquid Calories
With a lot of restaurants offering free refills on sodas nowadays it is really easy to consume a lot of liquid calories this way.
With a bit of will power you should try and stick to 1 drink per meal or opt for a zero calorie water instead, don’t be sucked into the hype of unlimited free refills!
Listen to Your Appetite
Slow down the pace that you’re eating. If you eat too quickly you are not going to know when you have had enough and are full!
This means you are going to eat more unnecessary calories and feel bloated and sluggish at the end of your meal.
So take your time, slow down and pay attention to your appetite, stop eating when your stomach is telling you it is full.
Don’t Overdo the Condiments
Condiments are very similar to liquid calories in that if you are not careful and you over do it, you are going to be eating 100’s of calories just in the sauces you pick.
A lot of condiments have over 50 calories per tablespoon! So be mindful how much you are squeezing onto your plate.
Stick to the 80/20 Rule
The final tip to always remember when eating out at restaurants is to use the 80/20 rule.
This means that you should be eating and committing to eating healthy and natural low calorie foods 80% of the time. The other 20% of the time you can eat whatever you like.
If you have planned to go out to eat later in the week, make sure you pick somewhere where you can still stick to your 80/20 rule and where the 20% allowance wont have a negative impact on your long term healthy eating goal.
So as you can see, just because you are committing to eating healthy, doesn’t mean you can’t go to restaurants any-more.
Many restaurants will also advise you how many calories are in each dish nowadays which will make your choices even easier.
Keep these 5 tips in mind the next time you are eating out and this will ensure you still have a great time and not jeopardize all of your hard work of eating a healthy diet.