Healthy Sandwiches for Your Vegetarian Guests
Vegetarianism has started to grow a lot more over the years and throughout the world. A lot of people are deciding to adopt this lifestyle because of ethical concerns around the treatment of animals as well as for religious reasons.
Despite its new found popularity, many bars and cafes still offer just a bog basic vegetarian menu with only 1 or 2 options to choose from.
If you have a social event you are going to do and need to provide vegetarian healthy sandwiches, instead of having the same old cheese you always have, opt for making some of these tasty sandwiches in their place:
Curried egg and cos lettuce sandwiches on rye bread
If you are having friends over or simply want a lunchtime sandwich these are great as they very quick to make meaning you are not stuck in the kitchen for ages. They contain a lot of protein, vitamins A, D, E, zinc, iron, choline and folate. Be prepared for them to go like hot cakes so make sure you prepare enough to go round!
Recipe makes 24 triangle sandwiches
Prep time around 15 minutes
• 4 hardboiled eggs (peeled)
• ¼ cup whole egg mayonnaise
• 2 tablespoons parsley (roughly chopped)
• 2.5 teaspoons curry powder
• 12 slices rye bread
• 1 cos lettuce roughly chopped
How to make:
1. Mash up your eggs with a potato masher and add the whole egg mayonnaise and the curry powder.
2. Then mix through the parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Evenly divide the filling between 6 slices of the rye bread and place a slice of crispy cos lettuce to each slice.
4. Place the other slice of bread on top, remove the crusts and cut into quarters.
Roast pumpkin and spinach sandwiches on whole wheat bread
These sandwiches are great as they are healthy and also filling. This would also be suitable for your vegan friends as there are no animal foods or by products included. The pumpkin is full of beta-carotene which helps with your eye health. The whole wheat bread as well as pumpkin are great for keeping you regular and helping with good bowel health.
Recipe makes 8 sandwich triangles
Prep and cooking time: approximately 45 minutes
• 850g pumpkin (peeled and deseeded)
• 60g baby spinach leaves
• 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
• 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 8 slices whole wheat bread
How to make:
1. Preheat oven to 200°C
2. Line a baking tray with baking paper
3. Cut the pumpkin into small cubes (2-3cm square) and put on tray
4. Splash the pumpkin generously with 2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
5. Season the pumpkin with salt and pepper
6. Put the pumpkin in the oven and roast until golden brown and tender (approximately 30 minutes.) Allow to cool
7. Add pumpkin and baby spinach to a bowl
8. Whisk vinegar, 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper together and pour over the pumpkin and baby spinach. Carefully toss all of these ingredients together.
9. Divide the mixture between 4 slices of bread, add sandwich tops with the remaining slices and cut them in half to serve.
Grilled Mushroom Sandwich
The good thing about mushrooms is they are very low calorie but still fill you up. The benefits of eating mushrooms are that they contain antioxidants, vitamins and fiber. Crimini mushrooms provide potassium, vitamin B6, B1 and folate. They also contain choline, protein, zinc and vitamin B12 which are essential for vegetarian and vegan diets. A grilled mushroom sandwich is easy and convenient and great if you are on the go.
Fry the mushrooms in a pan with either vegan butter or a small amount of olive oil, add fresh garlic and a dash of salt and cook until you get the texture you like. Then put the cooked mushrooms in a hot baguette or roll of your choice and enjoy. If you want to add a condiment you could try hummus, mustard or mayonnaise (as long as the vegetarians eat eggs) along with any vegetables you like, lettuce and tomato for example and enjoy a very healthy and satisfying sandwich.
Variations of this sandwich:
• At the same time as cooking the mushrooms, add onions, peppers, other vegetables that you love.
• Add other herbs and spices like oregano, basil or cumin.
Ditching the Meat
All you need to do is have a little creativity and you can make even the most basic healthy sandwich tasty and satisfying.
If you are fed up of the normal cheese and tomato sandwich, it is likely that your other vegetarian friends are as well so next time they are round for lunch mix it up a bit!
If you decide to eat vegetarian options this is going to mean you are getting a lot more vitamin intake and will help you to remain healthy.
Your friends will appreciate the effort you have gone to by trying and making something different and you will be surprised at how tasty a vegetarian sandwich can actually be!